Thursday, January 19, 2012

Entry #1 - Effective Teaching

January 10/2012

Hello everyone! =) 

Well, this is the first of many blog entries I will be completing throughout the course of this semester. I, like many others in my class I'm sure, am not entirely decided on what I will be putting up here. For now, I'm starting with the writing assignment from today.

Please describe, from personal experience, an instance in which you witnessed effective teaching skills in action. Who and why? What did you observe? 

 The person that instantly came to mind was a teacher I had at H.J Cody high-school in Sylvan Lake. My grade 11/12 social studies teacher was one that greatly helped me along in school and in life. Not only by motivating me to do well, but also by taking extra time out of his day to work with me through problems I had, whether in school or other areas. He was a genuine and friendly person who made his students  feel comfortable and himself easy to approach with any questions, comments or concerns. Social studies was not my most favored subject, but he made it my favorite class to be in. It seemed he was always in a good mood (keeping his personal and business life separate) and the tone of the class was light and easy-going as long as a few rules were followed. A variety of instructional strategies were always used, keeping the lessons interesting and the students entertained and engaged in learning. After I had graduated I still went back occasionally to visit with this particular teacher, and we kept in touch for several years after. It has been quite awhile since my last visit and although we are distanced and our relationship has died down, his ways of teaching has had, and will have, an enormous affect on me and my life and how I will teach my own pupils one day. I hope that I can impact students`life in the same way and make a difference in their world.

No comments:

Post a Comment