Monday, April 2, 2012

Entry 8 - Video - Digital Nation

January 24 EDPY

Video - digital nation.
Growing up online, immersed in technology. Living in the virtual world a large percentage of the time. Having a digital life. Distracted, have to think about one thing at a time. Technology is like oxygen. Short attention span...get bored?

Some questions to frame your viewing and reflection.
1. How have your own life and learning been shaped by digital technology?
2. How can we as teachers and parents help prepare the next generation for digital nation?

ANSWERS

1. My own life is greatly influenced by a cornucopia of different technologies. I feel that today's generation is heavily dependent on technology and most of us probably could not function them. I know many people (including myself) whose cell phones are basically glued to their hands, and whose lives are more virtual than reality these days. Facebook makes procrastinators of us all, and most recently the "draw something" game. I count on my Ipad and my laptop to do almost all of my schoolwork, including taking notes in lecture. It has also changed the way I learn by the technologies into the classroom. There is a computer in almost every classroom and here in the college they are accompanied by huge projectors and screens. A substitute used the over-head projector the other day and I exclaimed "I think that's the first time I've seen that used!" Sometimes the advances seem more like disadvantages. For example, VHS vs. DVD. I don't hardly ever watch movies at home but when I do I am definitely a VHS fan. Sure the picture isn't as clear, or the graphics aren't as good...but when was the last time a tape didn't work because of a little scratch?! That's what I thought! =)

2. Everyday the world is changing, as are the technologies that run it. I know of young children that can operate a computer better than my Dad.  He calls the internet "the world wide web!" I do not think that we, as teachers and parents, have to do much to prepare our next generations for a digital nation. It seems to be happening all around us without much guide. I do believe that the youngsters need to be supervised while "surfing the net" and the time spent online needs to be controlled. People need to get out and live their lives for real, and not from behind a computer screen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment